Domestic Violence Mentor Court Open House
The Center for Court Innovation and the Winnebago County Domestic Violence Coordinated Courts are holding an Open House at the courthouse in Rockford, Illinois (located 1.5 hours outside of Chicago) on May 11-12, 2017. The day and a 1/2 Open House will include:
- panels and workshops with local Winnebago County stakeholders;
- a session with James E. Henderson Jr., MSW, from the Battered Women's Justice Project on probation's response to offender accountability;
- a tour of the courthouse with particular focus on safety and security, as well as the petitioner's experience; and
- the unique opportunity to observe three of the domestic violence courts' dockets (civil, criminal, and compliance).
The Winnebago County Domestic Violence Coordinated Courts is 1 of 6 Mentor Courts selected by the Office on Violence Against Women as a national court model for its work in the field. This Open House presents the opportunity to view the court's operations, meet the judges and staff, network with peers, and work with your team to enhance the response to domestic violence in your own community.
Below is an outline of the agenda. Please note that it is subject to change.
Thursday, May 11, 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Overview of the Domestic Violence Coordinated Courts
- Observation: Domestic Violence Criminal Court Docket
- Coordinated Community Response
- Courthouse Tour: Overview of Safety & Security / Order of Protection Procedures
- Peer-to-peer lunch*
- Court Observation: Civil Order of Protection Docket
- Enhancing Offender Accountability
Friday, May 12, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Court Observation: Civil Order of Protection Compliance Docket
- Civil Legal Services and Victim Advocacy in the Domestic Violence Coordinated Courts: Supporting the Whole
- Team Action Planning
Sites may request to send up to 6 people. Those teams may include: a judge, court administrator, victim advocate, prosecutor, probation officer, civil attorney, or other relevant stakeholder.
Sites interested in attending must submit an application by: 5 pm EST on March 15th. Please submit 1 application per team by the deadline (even if you are still awaiting approval internally).
- This event is currently pending OVW approval. Please do not make any travel arrangements.
- The Open House is free, but all travel expenses are paid for out of your jurisdiction's grant and not by the Center for Court Innovation. Please inquire with your grant manager/fiscal team for information regarding reimbursement.
- Teams can use their Justice for Families funding to attend. All other OVW grantees must get approval from their grant manager to use grant funding. For teams who do not have federal grant funding, a limited number of scholarships are available. Please indicate on the application form if your team is applying for a scholarship.
- The Center for Court Innovation is prohibited by federal funding rules to provide food or beverages. Participants will be provided with lists of local food options. The federal per diem allowance for meals and incidentals in Rockford, IL is $51/day ($38.25 on the first/last day of travel). More federal per diem information can be found here.
- Teams are expected to attend the full day and a half event. The Center for Court Innovation may take your team's participation at the Open House into consideration when reviewing applications for future events.
The Center for Court Innovation is committed to access for participants with disabilities and Deaf participants. We encourage our colleagues with disabilities and Deaf colleagues to attend. If you have a question regarding access, please contact Jenna Smith at email@example.com.TAGS: